The latest sustainability news, fun, facts and reviews from the Green Elephant for 16th December 2020.
10:12 Challenge update
- Apple 5S phone
- Bush TV sound bar
- Sony microphone
- USB soundcard
- Loads of leads
- Old macbook pro
- Old xbox
Sustainable Technology News:
24:40 – Bamboo Compression Socks offer support via natural and recycled materials
26:00 – Trash-monitoring cameras help McDonald’s clean up its waste stream
27:28 – British wind farms have a record-breaking day
28:10 – Japan to develop wooden satellite in bid to curb space junk
29:45 – New-sprung: the project turning PPE offcuts into Covid patient mattresses
30:50 – A moo-ving target: fenceless grazing widens possibilities for cows and wildlife
Other Sustainability News:
33:08 – World could lose coral reefs by end of century, UN environment report warns
33:40 – Scientists find a female of the world’s most endangered turtle
34:38 – 400,000 Participated in Veganuary Last Year. Will 2021 Be Bigger?
35:17 – Scientists discover 503 new species in 2020
You can help monitor Amazon deforestation from your couch
39:50 Interview with Lianne Bell
We welcome Lianne Bell, author of How on earth Can I Be Eco Friendly onto the show to discuss he passion, her travels, fast fashion and guilt free sustainability.
Lianne recommends Thousand Fell Recyclable Shoes
01:03:45 – Book Recommendation – To die for by Lucy Siegle
01:04:48 Fact or Fake?
Fast fashion themed with guest Lianne Bell.
- Eighty billion pieces of clothing are consumed around the world every year
- Only 10% of the clothes people donate to charity shops get sold – the rest goes to landfill
- 7 out of 10 textile workers in Bangladesh cannot afford enough food for themselves and their families
- Paying a living wage to garment workers would add just 5% to the retail price of a piece of clothing
- 85% of the plastic pollution in the ocean is due to microfibres from synthetic clothing
00:00 – UK beach clean: disco ball and pink pants among oddest items found
Thanks for listening to this weeks sustainability news.