Hello and welcome to our special series of Green Elephant interviews during March 2021, supporting the annual B Corps month.
B Corporations, or B Corps for short, are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose
Throughout March, we are chatting with key people in companies which have chosen to certify as B Corps and become a Force for Good.
00:35 Interview with Bri Decker from Avocado Green Mattress
- 01:42 Spread across the USA – always the case?
- 02:40 How a baby can inspire business…
- 03:39 Background in bedding?
- 04:25 Loaded question: What does Green Mean?
- 05:24 A plethora of certifications
- 07:26 Why is certification so important?
- 08:24 Light bulb moment
- 09:45 What a vision!
- 11:28 Climate Neutral… tough?
- 13:20 Bri’s role in the B Corp certification
- 13:54 How hard was the process – when to start?
- 15:02 “Build the Brand as a B Corp”
- 15:49 The supply chain investment
- 18:01 Why become a B Corp?
- 19:28 Why the B Corp movement is valued
- 21:41 The change in US President – good?
- 23:40 World powers have to lead in the change
- B Corps Climate Justice Playbook
- Journalling every day, with digital prompts – Challenge yourself, reflect on what you write and make changes
- Note prompts and ask yourself questions
27:30 Fact or Fake
- There are more mattress stores in the United States than McDonalds (FACT)
- 4 million mattresses go into landfill, every year, in the UK alone – that’s enough to fill Wembley Stadium 2 times over (FAKE)
- Latex Trees can be tapped every other day and the tree will survive for 50 years (FAKE)
- To make a Queen sized latex mattress it will take a whole days output of 12 acres of trees (FACT)
- Over a life-span of 100 years, those 12 acres of latex trees will remove over 140,000 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere (FACT)
Find Bri Decker and Avocado Green Mattress here: