The latest sustainability news, fun, facts and reviews from the Green Elephant for 16th December 2020.
01:15 – EU Leaders Boost Climate Reduction Targets a Day before UN Summit
02:04 – Biden promises US-led climate summit in 2021
02:22 – Paris climate agreement: 54 cities on track to meet targets
18:10 – Sizewell C: government reignites £20bn nuclear power station row
08:30 Leave a review
Your chance to win some eco goodies!
Reviewing couldn’t be easier – open up your podcast app and leave us a rating and a few words. For the really lazy listener just giving us a rating will help!
09:33 Challenge update
- Buy locally
- Buy from BCorps or FairTrade
- Go Second Hand
- Buy less
- Furoshiki – sustainable wrapping
13:25 Top 10 Tips for a sustainable Christmas:
- Buy from sustainable organisations if you can (BCorps, fairtrade especially)
- Buy a present for the planet – donate/contribute on behalf of someone
- Rent a tree. Or use an artificial one forever.
- Reduce or ditch the meat – buy organic/local if possible
- Stop sending cards!
- Decorate using nature – rather than tinsel
- Check the provenance of anything you buy
- Recycle or reuse the waste
- Moderation in everything
- Use the time for people and to get out in nature
23:14 – Former employees say Apple stood by while suppliers violated Chinese labor laws
25:14 – Climate crisis: FTSE giants fail to disclose their carbon footprint
26:25 – Unilever, Microsoft, 11 More Companies Join the Climate Pledge
27:16 – Cisco Achieves 100% Renewable Energy in US
29:04 – Apple’s old 29W chargers aren’t good enough for MagSafe Duo
Sustainable Technology News:
Other Sustainability News:
34:05 – The pandemic turned the volume down on ocean noise pollution
34:53 – Human-produced mass now outweighs the Earth’s biomass
36:22 – Court issues largest fine for wildlife crime ever for a demolished bat habitat
37:29 – The end of dairy’s “dirty secret”? Farms have a year to stop killing male calves
38:45 – Bison recovering but 31 other species now extinct, says red list
40 :24 – Monkeys could be banned as pets, says government
42:18 Coming Shows
23rd December – sustainability review of 2020
- 30th December – preview of what’s happening in the world of sustainability in 2021
43:49 Fact or Fake?
- 27,000 miles of wrapping paper is used each year in the UK alone
- Only 5% of consumer goods are still in use 6 months later
- One billion Christmas cards enf up in the bin each year
- The equivalent of 1 million turkeys end up in the bin each year
- One in 10 unwanted Christmas presents ends up in landfill
48:31 – Mummified man died of extreme constipation after eating only grasshoppers
49:55 – M&S customer’s slipper review after losing leg brings people to tears
51:01 – Teaching assistant mortified after missing rude detail on Christmas cardigan
Thanks for listening to this weeks sustainability news.