Hello and welcome to our special series of Green Elephant interviews during March 2021, supporting the annual B Corps month.
B Corporations, or B Corps for short, are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose
Throughout March, we are chatting with key people in companies which have chosen to certify as B Corps and become a Force for Good.
00:31 Interview with Geoff Manchester from Intrepid Travel
- 01:31 Impact of COVID on the travel industry
- 03:00 Shrewd Financial Planning
- 04:00 What does the future of travel look like
- 05:08 We know people are still keen to travel
- 05:47 Flying, especially, is perhaps not very environmental
- 06:55 Not no impact but reduced impact
- 07:55 Are vacations smaller impact than business travel?
- 09:23 Off the beat tourism track
- 10:45 All about the experience, with responsible travel
- 11:32 Responsible travel
- 13:01 Carbon Neutral since 2010 – not just in the office
- 14:15 Setting science-based targets for off-setting
- 15:56 Is there a certain type of person to travel with you?
- 17:07 Intrepid Style – what is that?
- 19:48 Helps you forget about normal life
- 20:20 Why did you become a B Corp?
- 20:59 Dual Goals – Profit and Purpose
- 22:00 Purpose over profit – value to customers?
- 23:00 Great for our people and recruiting talent
- 23:30 How did you find the initial process of certifying?
- 24:31 23 assessments to complete!!!
- 26:00 Social impacts difficult to calculate
- 27:38 Recertification just about to start – around 30 companies, but now regional
- 29:00 Targeted areas for improvement
37:06 Fact or Fake
- Echidnas move 7 tonnes of soil each year foraging for food (FACT)
- Intrepid has been running tours in the UK for 10 years (FAKE)
- Orphanages are for children without parents (FAKE)
- 60% of people say they want to travel in a more sustainable way (FAKE)
- A train from Berlin to Amsterdam emits 15 times less CO2 than flying the same route. (FACT)
- 70% of global travellers are willing to pay more for holidays that demonstrate environmental responsibility
Find Geoff Manchester and Intrepid Travel here: